Gum disease is an infection that begins to deteriorate the tissues that make up your gums. This is very dangerous for your teeth because you can lose them. The following guide will show you one way to prevent this oral issue and some signs of gum disease.
A Preventative Cranberry and Strawberry Sorbet
This sorbet is gum-friendly and gum-strengthening due to its ingredients. The following are a few reasons why the ingredients are good for your gum health:
- Cranberries: Believe it or not, cranberries can do a lot towards preventing gum disease. Gum disease can be caused by excessive bacterial growth in the form of plaque. Bacteria can only stick to your teeth because of an adhesive biofilm that they create. Cranberries have polyphenols, which are active ingredients that inhibit the formation of this biofilm.
- Strawberries: Strawberries have a secret weapon against bacterial biofilm as well. This weapon is called malic acid. Malic acid dissolves some of the biofilm formed by the bacteria in your mouth. And it also stimulates your salivary glands, producing more saliva. Saliva contains several enzymes that kill bacteria.
- Honey: This ingredient must be raw and unfiltered for it to work against the bacteria in your mouth. Raw honey contains enzymes that deter the reproduction process of bacteria. And it also happens to dehydrate bacteria to death due to its naturally osmotic nature.
To make your sorbet, just follow the next steps:
- Freeze 3 cups of crownless, fresh strawberries.
- Freeze 1 cup of cranberries.
- Remove the frozen fruits from the freezer, and place them in your blender.
- Add 3 tablespoons of raw orange juice in your blender.
- Add 3 tablespoons of raw honey to the blender, and begin to blend.
- Blend the mixture until smooth. Taste, and add more honey if necessary. Enjoy when you are happy with the taste.
That is how delicious preventing gum disease can be. But you should also be aware of following.
Signs of Gum Disease
Prevention can only go so far, so you should know the warning signs of gum disease. Look out for the following:
- Red, swollen or tender gums
- Bleeding gums when you brush your teeth
- Receding gums
- Pus or small gaps between your teeth and gums
- Pain, especially when you bite down
- Constant bad breath
Talk to a dentist from a clinic like http://www.couchmandental.com should you notice any of the aforementioned symptoms.Your dentist will help you diagnose and deal with this problem.